International Travel

Borders can’t separate the long-standing customs, resources, and cultures of the people who settled the Bold Coast. Bring your passport for an unforgettable Two Nation Vacation!

Time zones

Atlantic Time (AT) in New Brunswick is one hour ahead of Eastern Time (ET) in Maine. For example, 1 pm in New Brunswick (AT) is actually 12 noon (ET) in Maine. Depending upon where you are along the Bold Coast, your cellular phone may pick up international towers and display the incorrect time.

Cell phones

Cell phones may occasionally pick up an international carrier in border communities like Eastport, Lubec, and Calais. Be aware that you may incur roaming charges if this happens. Contact your cell phone carrier to advise of your location while in this region.

International purchases

When you travel across the U.S./Canadian border you will be asked to declare whether you are bringing certain types of goods with you.  Generally speaking, items that you bring into either country for your personal use during your visit are considered “personal baggage” and are exempt from duties and taxes. Examples include your car, clothing, personal food, camping and sports equipment, boats, snowmobiles, fuel, personal computers and cameras.

Bringing any other type of goods across the border is considered “importing” and you may be subject to duties and taxes.  Customs officials are therefore focused on establishing whether you are truly bringing the goods in for your personal use.  For good information regarding international purchases and clearing customsclick here.

Follow these direct links for information about what you must declare, prohibited items, duty free shopping, and calculating how much you will pay in duties, including a calculator for estimating Canadian Duties.

Traveling with pets

The rules for bringing pet dogs, cats, and birds across the U.S. – Canadian border are pretty straightforward but there are differences between the two countries – and even different U.S. States.  In theory, you should contact the state veterinarian of each state you are intending to visit.  Finally, regulations change, so it is always a good idea to call the specific border crossing station you will be using if you are bringing your animal along for the first time in a while, or are traveling with something other than a dog or cat.  Click here for detailed information about international travel with pets.

Border crossings

Travel between the U.S. and Canada by car at the border crossings in Calais/St. Stephen and Lubec/Campobello requires the following documents:

For U.S. citizens: passports or passport cards are required for all cross-border travel.

For Canadian citizens: one of the following is required: a passport, a NEXUS card, a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card or an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) or enhanced identification card (EIC) from a province where a U.S.-approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented, or a Secure Certificate of Indian Status.

For additional information contact: